Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Pediatric tuberculosis, a multinational approach


Jing Ren
Resident in Medicine/Pediatrics at MGH
PGY-3

 Pediatric tuberculosis, a multinational approach

I’m working on with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) on a multi-national pediatric tuberculosis project. Pediatric TB is notorious difficult to diagnose because kids tend to have a hard time coughing up a sample to test, and the samples tend to have a lower concentration of TB so our tests are not as sensitive as they are for adults. One area on which the project focuses is increasing the availability of new child-friendly, fixed-dose formulations of TB medications. These formulations are easy to take because they dissolve in water and they reduce the number of pills kids have to take each day, improving adherence and treatment success. EGPAF is also looking at ways to improve linkage to/retention in care; not only does this improve patient outcomes but it also increase the demand for these new pediatric TB medicines, thereby stabilizing the market and making it worthwhile for more generic drug manufacturers to make these medicines, which then in turn drives down their cost.

The proposed project spans four years and ten countries across sub-Saharan Africa and India. One of my motivations for doing this rotation with EGPAF is to see how an organization coordinates this kind of multinational project, as well as see in action the type of advocacy work organizations are able to do when they are situated in Geneva in terms of influencing new guidelines that are released. I had the opportunity to assist with an analysis of the political and current clinic guidelines for pediatric tuberculosis in each country. This gave me the opportunity not only to learn about the clinical standard of care in contact tracing, diagnosis and treatment of TB in children, but also gain more insight into the nuances in policy that shifted from country to country. After analyzing multiple national strategic plans and national guidelines, it becomes easier to differentiate the countries that have the political will and funding to try to translate strategic goals into concrete action items and guideline changes.

Being able to discuss these nuances in public health policy with experts in the field of pediatric TB and watch them influence the conversations happening on the ground through our country teams who interact regularly with each National TB Program was also very interesting. The background of the members of EGPAF Geneva office range from infectious disease physicians to former Doctors Without Borders humanitarian aid workers to advocacy experts. I found surprising how few of the people who work at either the WHO setting these clinical guidelines or in these large international NGOs that help translate those guidelines into practice have ever treated a patient with that disease, but I love learning from the wealth of experience they do have in the field of public health or aid work.

4 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  4. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete