Thursday, April 5, 2018

Chronic Disease Care in Mbarara, Uganda


Henrietta Afari
Resident in Internal Medicine at MGH
PGY-3

Chronic Disease Care in Mbarara, Uganda 


A steadily growing problem in most healthcare settings in sub-Saharan Africa and similar socio-economic contexts globally is the high rates of chronic illnesses and associated complications. From a public health perspective, this makes sense: people are living longer-presumably due to gains made in communicable disease detection and treatment. I arrived at the Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital (MRRH) for a 4-week clinical elective in the internal medicine department eager to learn what this reality looked like for that part of southwestern Uganda.

At 9am every morning at MRRH, we would show up to the Accidents & Emergencies (A&E) unit for morning post-take rounds, where interns and residents present overnight and early AM admissions and transfers. Teams of about 10-20 comprising residents, medical students and sometimes, an attending physician, would review each admission in detail with daily plan made for each patient. There are on average 5-10 patients reviewed during daily post-take rounds. While I was struck by the rates of particularly HIV/AIDS in this population (to the point of routine inclusion of a patient’s HIV status in the one-liner), I was fairly surprised by the rates of chronic disease complications seen. On the very first day, we had patients with acute stroke, chest pain being ruled out for MI, acute decompensated heart failure, and acute decompensated cirrhosis. I found that the general principles of diagnosis and management were similar, in theory; in practice though, patients had fewer options due to limited resources. For many of these patients, though they had fairly advanced disease states on presentation, these admissions were often the first time they were diagnosed with or learned of these chronic conditions.

Following post-take rounds, we would proceed towards the medical wards, usually around 10am. I was assigned to the female ward where I would help scribe on rounds, take vitals, help review radiology and often give bedside teaching to the medical students. Not surprisingly, a sizeable number of the admitted patients also had some chronic disease complication, or were incidentally found to have high blood pressure or elevated blood sugars. One week, as many as 4 of the about 10 patients on that team were being managed for HHS/ DKA and one of the MRRH residents made a tongue-in-cheek remark about how this must be diabetes awareness week. Often after optimizing their acute illnesses, the patients would be referred to present to diabetes clinic or general outpatient clinic for further care. Many of these patients unfortunately travel from far to make it to MRRH, and appear understandably hesitant to make this fairly costly commute unless the discomfort associated with the illness becomes intolerant or debilitating, accounting for their often late presentations. It wasn't clear how many would be willing to make this commute just for routine clinic follow-up; I couldn’t find any data on referral completion rate but I suspect it may not have been high.

One of the local MRRH residents who has had an enduring interest in cardiology, noted during a conversation with one of our collaborative site-directors, Dan about how prevalent cardiovascular disease was at MRRH, and how much work needed to be done in this field. When asked his impressions on why such little work was being done in this area, he made a striking observation: “you’ll notice almost all the health-related billboards along the major link roads in Uganda are related to HIV/AIDS. Have you noticed any billboards addressing any cardiovascular or other non-infectious health disease?” (paraphrased). When Dan shared this conversation with me, I thought long and hard, as had he. We hadn’t seen any such billboards on our drives throughout southwestern Uganda. It appeared the resident was trying to make a point about how silent these conditions often go, in its early clinical phenotype, as in efforts dedicated to its management. My rotation in Mbarara, while initially designed to get a perspective of broad care delivery in a resource-limited setting like Mbarara, also reaffirmed to me my intent to further develop my interest in global non-communicable disease (NCD) care delivery.


3 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete