Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Global Health in…Switzerland?

Jing Ren
Resident in Medicine/Pediatrics at MGH
PGY-3

 Global Health in…Switzerland?

For my away rotation this year, I am spending a month with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation in their offices in Geneva, Switzerland. While Switzerland is not the typical location for a global health away elective, as evidenced by the other posts on this blog, my hope was that working at the European headquarters of a large international NGO would complement the other experiences I’ve had working in field offices and government hospitals where many of these programs and their like are being implemented.

I recently heard a statistic that more than half of Geneva’s residents are not Swiss citizens. Certainly as I sit on the bus on my way to work as it winds and wends its way out of the city center to the northwest corner of the city where the UN, WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR and the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross), and a whole panoply of other acronymed NGOs, it is easy to believe that is true. In the EGPAF Geneva office alone, the nationalities represented include: Swiss, American, Canadian, Kenya, Italian and French, with the Switzerland the sole claimant of more than one citizen. The polyglot of languages represented on every sign and even automated bus announcements further emphasizes that Switzerland is a relative recent-comer on the European scene, cobbled together from territories that trace their routes to France and Germany respectively.

The other thing that jumps out at my during my first few days of getting used to the rhythm of life in the office is how essential the internet has become to the way EGPAF and organizations like it work. When I worked and lived in Sierra Leone 8 years ago for a similar large NGO, the internet was essential for contact with our headquarter offices, but given the poor quality and slow speeds of the connection, the country team was largely left autonomous, except during key times like the final stages of a report or grant submission. Now, the days are filled with emails and conference calls filtering in from multiple time zones across the world, starting in the early morning hours from the India team, then during the morning from offices in sub-Saharan Africa, stretching well into the evening with the Washington DC headquarters. (Interestingly, and inexplicably, our office phone acts like an US number.) Sure, the first 5-10 minutes of a large intercontinental conference call is still always filled with connectivity issues, but the ease with which questions and answers can fly across the world, allowing experts based in different countries and the implementers on the ground to troubleshoot and shape projects is still a thing of marvel. The careful balance between autonomy and supervision between the headquarters offices and the country offices is strongly reminiscent of the balance we try to strike in the hospital as residents while working with interns and attendings.

3 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete