Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Uganda Be Kidding Me: Iatrogenic Pediatric Orthopaedic Injuries in Kumi, Uganda

Kristin Alves
Resident in Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program
PGY5

Uganda Be Kidding Me: Iatrogenic Pediatric Orthopaedic Injuries in Kumi, Uganda


I began traveling to Uganda in the Fall of 2015 to begin to assess and help address two pediatric orthopaedic disabilities I had never heard of or seen in medical school or during my orthopaedic surgery residency.  My retrospective cohort study in Northeast Uganda in 2015 demonstrated that over 40% of children seen for any musculoskeletal disease in clinic at Kumi Hospital were diagnosed with one of the two disabilities I am working on.
These disabilities are common in Sub-Saharan Africa, and may be increasing in incidence.  We believe that these disabilities are iatrogenic and completely preventable impairments, this burden becomes even more alarming.  So what are these disabilities?  
One of these disabilities is post-injection paralysis (PIP).  Children with PIP suffer an injury to the sciatic nerve and develop loss of motor and sensory function of the sciatic nerve distal to the injection.  There seems to be a number of cases of PIP in Uganda and there is a need for further research.  The strong temporal association with the onset of PIP and the injection leaves the causation up for little debate.  Further research though is needed to understand what injection practices may be contributing to the development of PIP.  There are many factors that may be at play including technique, medication used, health of the patient, etc. 

The other disability is gluteal fibrosis (GF). GF is a fibrotic contracture of the gluteal muscles that cause significant functional limitations with a swinging out of the leg with any hip flexion.  These children for example have their knees go out over 180 degrees apart with attempts at squatting. Such alteration in hip biomechanics for affected children impacts their ability to go to school and to perform ADLs in their homes and communities.  The current hypothesis is that these children develop a buttock abscess after an injection which can then lead to muscle necrosis, fibrosis and gluteal contracture. Interestingly, while PIP patients have been seen throughout the country, GF patients have anecdotally been noted to primarily be seen in northeast Uganda which leads me to believe that an additional exposure is acting as an effect modifier of the injections in this region.
Treatment of GF is surgical resection of the fibrotic contracture while treatment of PIP has a variety of surgical and non-surgical options depending on the clinical presentation.  This large burden of disease that requires surgical management but could likely be prevented has not yet been addressed in Uganda.
This leads me to my current work in Uganda. I am in country to do a qualitative study to try to understand what is causing these two disabilities. This study will cascade into my next case control study to allow for a mixed methods study to assess causation of the disabilities. My study focuses on individuals involved in the administration of injections (physicians, nurses, health care workers, and community practitioners), individuals involved in the preparation of injections (pharmacies and health care staff), and individuals with knowledge of injection practices in Uganda (district health officers).  My study involves key informant and focus group interviewing to attempt to get a better understanding of what may be causing both of these disabilities.

I am currently in Kumi District with my team who are a part of the project including an orthopaedic surgeon, community based outreach health and social worker and research coordinator.
 

While we are getting set up to do the actual study we have gone out into the community to meet with the children suffering from these disabilities  

It’s been a powerful start to what I expect to be a really fruitful month. My month will include not only this research project, but I will also have exposure both clinically and surgically to pediatric orthopaedic diseases seen in Kumi and Kampala, Uganda.  It will be an amazing month with much to report in my next post!

6 comments:

  1. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Never believed i was ever going to be HSV FREE again, DR.Ehiaguna has given me reasons to be happy, i was HSV positive for 2 years and all the means and medicine i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR.Ehiaguna on how he was able to cure someone from HSV 2, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that DR.Ehiaguna can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR.Ehiahuna , i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HSV NEGATIVE, friends you can reach DR.Ehiaguna on any treatment of any Disease cos i saw many testimony of different disease like, HEPATITIS,HIV AIDS,EPILEPSY, CANCER,CFS he is the one only one i can show you all up to, reach him on drehiaguna@gmail.com or whatsApp him now +2348073908953. quick contact him for help and you can just quickly drop your number on your first mail as i did for easily conversation

      Delete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Never believed i was ever going to be HSV FREE again, DR.Ehiaguna has given me reasons to be happy, i was HSV positive for 2 years and all the means and medicine i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR.Ehiaguna on how he was able to cure someone from HSV 2, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that DR.Ehiaguna can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR.Ehiahuna , i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HSV NEGATIVE, friends you can reach DR.Ehiaguna on any treatment of any Disease cos i saw many testimony of different disease like, HEPATITIS,HIV AIDS,EPILEPSY, CANCER,CFS he is the one only one i can show you all up to, reach him on drehiaguna@gmail.com or whatsApp him now +2348073908953. quick contact him for help and you can just quickly drop your number on your first mail as i did for easily conversation

    ReplyDelete
  4. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete