Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Things They Carried: Paper Records, the Improvised Visit, and Guideline Adaptation in Oncology Care in Botswana



Shekinah Nefreteri Elmore, MD, MPH
Resident, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program
PGY3 

In Botswana, while each hospital keeps some of its own records, the bulk of the important things, including physical radiology images, biopsy reports, and past clinical assessments, travel with the patient. Who better to be the keeper of records than the recorded? This is how things once were at the Dana-Farber, I recently learned, chancing upon a vintage poster that said “Please remember to bring your records to your doctor’s visit!” And, we in the United States are again on our way back to this reality in its new form with patients increasingly accessing their records through an electronic format though a laptop or phone application.

Besides the practicality of having all of the relevant records in one stack, there’s another a tangible benefit of looking at the records with the patient: there is a sense of creating the patient’s story together. The visits generally go something like this. The physician and nurse sit on one side of a hefty desk. The patient and a family member on the other side. A small folder is presented across the wooden breadth. And, piece by piece, a narrative is exacted from the clinical notes, ultrasound snaps, and physical radiographs. The chart review becomes an interaction and an improvisation.

I don’t want to be nostalgic about an era of paper records that I never truly experienced. At their best, paper records constrain you by the amount that you’re willing to write. You are intensely bound by the relevant, not by what can be cut or pasted, which makes all notes more concise and information-dense to review. If you are able to read the handwriting, that is. Or, if they have not been damaged by water or dirt or time, or even lost. If there are not so many that it would be impractical to read them all without the search function that I rely upon so heavily my home hospital’s electronic medical record. “Has this patient had a recent CD4 count?” becomes a scavenger hunt that wastes valuable clinical time.

But, for the time being, the fully elaborated electronic record is a future proposition. However, once the narrative is sorted out and the diagnosis discovered, there is the need for new improvisation: determining the treatment plan. For generalist oncologists, even with a breadth of knowledge and years of experience, it can be challenging to know just what to do for each of the myriad oncologist conditions. The oncology team between the Ministry of Health of Botswana and the stakeholders from hospitals that provide oncology care are working to adapt and approve clinical guidelines for oncology that will ease an unnecessary part of this improvisation. While guidelines from national and international cancer organizations exist, they are often targeted to a scope of practice of high-income countries. Oncologists in low and middle income countries then have a much more complicated improvisation to adapt, on the fly, these guidelines to the patient in front of them with the resources available in their particular system. Country and region specific guidelines remove this pressure, allowing oncologists to practice systematically and to the best of their ability given resource constraints. The program to adapt guidelines in Botswana has started with the most prevalent cancers, creating simple to use guidelines that can be available in print and on laptops in the clinic. Supporting this project has taught me about equity in resource allocation and quality improvement. This is the unglamorous and important process of global health, bridging the improvisational to the systematic in the care of patients and the building of systems.

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete