Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Internal Medicine rotation in Rural health clinics in Chiapas, Mexico Part 2


David A. Cardona Estrada, M.D.
Internal Medicine Resident, North Shore Medical Center
PGY- 3

March 18, 2019

During medical training, we often develop a superficial sense of control over the natural course of disease processes. There is such an overwhelming emphasis on data, diagnostics, and evidence-based practice, that we often lose our humanistic perspective. We forget that having a disease, whether chronic or acute, is just a small part of our patient’s lives, particularly in our most vulnerable patients and populations.

While providing medical care in Chiapas, Mexico, I quickly realized just how impactful socio-economic factors are in determining a person’s health and wellbeing, as well as access to basic medical care. In a resource-limited environment, the challenges encountered when making diagnostic and therapeutic decisions can be quite complex and challenging, to say the least. Lack of resources combined with a population that lives well below the poverty line creates a unique medical and moral challenge that is rarely encountered in well-developed countries

These challenges were exemplified with one particular scenario that I encountered during my time in Chiapas.  “Mrs. V” was a 40-year-old female, who presented to the clinic with a two-day history of persistent, intense right upper quadrant pain. She had a history of similar pain in the preceding weeks, which was triggered by heavy meals, though the pain had previously remitted spontaneously. On exam, she was afebrile though tachycardic. She appeared non-toxic but her abdominal exam was concerning; guarding, significant tenderness to palpation, and a blatantly positive Murphy’s sign. Our immediate concern was evolving acute cholecystitis. 

Community of Laguna del Cofre,
Sierra Madre Chiapas Mexico
“Mrs. V” had been evaluated earlier that week by another physician who had performed an abdominal ultrasound. The physician had advised surgery; presumably a cholecystectomy. She also was prescribed a medication, which she unfortunately could not recall the name of, and was unsure if it was an antibiotic. To further complicate matters, “Mrs. V” did not bring the report of the ultrasound nor did she have the ability to read the report anyhow. Her clinical picture was concerning.  In the ideal setting, she would have basic labs, right upper quadrant ultrasound, and a surgical consult.  In this scenario, the nearest medical facility with basic ultrasound capability was 2 hours away, and the only means of transportation would require pay-out-of-pocket, which was an unrealistic option for her. 

Herein lies the dilemma:  If she did in fact have cholecystitis, she would have to travel to the capital city, which would require a 5-hour trek through mountainous terrain with unpaved roads.  The logistics are well beyond the scope of what Mrs. V and her family could coordinate, not to mention afford.  Food and housing for family members, transportation, and payment for services received while in the hospital were just a few of the foreseeable obstacles.  Unfortunately, she was from one of the poorest families in her village.

As I began to discuss my impression and potential plan with her, I explained the importance of an ultrasound which would cost her ~$20 US.  She promptly expressed that it was the coffee harvest season and that if her husband took her to the ER, they simply would not have money to feed their family.  I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I recommend traveling to the nearest hospital for an ultrasound, with the possibility of this being only biliary cholic at the risk of not being able to feed her family? Should I sit tight and watch things evolve? What if she decompensates?  If that happened, then we would have to emergently send her to the closest city, which again would be a dangerous and expensive 5-hour drive. 

There was no “right answer”. We did what we could, with what we had, in the given moment. Our organization had arranged for a general surgeon (with ultrasound capabilities) to visit the town closest to us, though this would be in two days time. We gave her oral antibiotics, analgesics, and urged her to return in 2 days for a cost-free surgical consultation.  My decision weighed heavy on my conscience and I could not sleep that night. I was troubled by fact that someone has to decide between paying for basic medical care and feeding her family. The outcome was favorable and Mrs V. had no complications. She eventually had her ultrasound which showed gall stones without cholecystitis.

9 comments:

  1. Hello everyone out there,the joy in me wouldn't just let me keep this to myself i was diagnosed of being herpes virus 1 & 2 positive in 2016,i was totally down,emotionally,i have been using the recommended drugs,i have spent so much money on trying to get rid of this disease from my system through medical attention,but all to no avail,all hope was lost cause i knew without me my family is nothing so i started doing research online on how to get this virus outta my body and i came across testimonies on how a certain DR RAZOR have been saving lives with his herbal medicine,i decided to contact him through the details that the testifiers provided and i was so lucky that he replied me and he asked me what i needed from him and i told him everything that i wanted him to do for me and he said no problem that there are some things that i needed to do which i did,and on the 2nd day of it i received a package from the UPS delivery service from the herbal DR RAZOR he told me how i was going to take the medication,after 18 days of taking it,he told me to go for a check up which i did,and that was when i got the overwhelming news of my life that am now HERPES 1&2 NEGATIVE.i recommend you all to contact this herbal doctor sent by GOD/ALLAH liberate all who is suffering from different disease or virus contact him on his clinic email address ;drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com  or whatsapp/call +2349065420442..thank you DR RAZOR

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal remedy has a very effective power that help cure this deadly infection i never believed on this not until i met with RAZOR who help me get rid of my HERPES disease which i have been suffering from for the past 2 years,i was on medical treatment but i later realized that i have been losing my money on the drugs that never worked for me but caused greater harm than Good, I will forever be grateful to herbal doctor RAZOR whom GOD sent to me in my time of need to help me get rid of this infection you can also reach him to via his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) WhatsApp or call his cell +2349065420442,he also made this known to me that he also treats HIV/AIDS,JAUNDICE,DEMENTIA,HEPATITIS,CANCER ETC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
      taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
      or call him on +2347030936239.
      DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
      1. HIV/AIDS .
      2. HERPES .
      3. CANCER .
      4. Hepatitis B AND C.
      5. Diabetes.
      6. Athrux,
      7. hydrophobia
      8.hpv .
      9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
      10 scabies .
      He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

      Delete
  4. Herbal remedy has a very effective power that help cure this deadly infection i never believed on this not until i met with RAZOR who help me get rid of my HERPES disease which i have been suffering from for the past 2 years,i was on medical treatment but i later realized that i have been losing my money on the drugs that never worked for me but caused greater harm than Good, I will forever be grateful to herbal doctor RAZOR whom GOD sent to me in my time of need to help me get rid of this infection you can also reach him to via his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) WhatsApp or call his cell +2349065420442,he also made this known to me that he also treats HIV/AIDS,JAUNDICE,DEMENTIA,HEPATITIS,CANCER ETC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
    taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
    or call him on +2347030936239.
    DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
    1. HIV/AIDS .
    2. HERPES .
    3. CANCER .
    4. Hepatitis B AND C.
    5. Diabetes.
    6. Athrux,
    7. hydrophobia
    8.hpv .
    9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
    10 scabies .
    He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six weeks previously, I had attended my primary care doctor (PCD) with dysuria and was treated for a urinary tract infection, however, symptoms persisted. Several days later I noticed an acute onset of bilateral vulvar blisters. I was clinically diagnosed with genital herpes and commenced taking valacyclovir 500 mg bd for one week as instructed by my  PCD. The blisters resolved within five days, however, I developed burning and exquisite sensitivity to touch in both inner thighs and in my left buttock extending down my left leg and including the sole of my left foot and toes. I found that at times, I was unable to walk and sit. So returned to her PCD who told me to continue taking valacyclovir for another week, however, the burning persisted. And I knew this was never going to cure me. I sorted for Natural Herbs And Gos so good i came across doctor razor's Details,I contacted him and we spoke and he assured me everything is going to be permanently fine. Few days after I reached out to him he sent me herbal medicine to take for 18 days. after completing the dosage for 18 days. I started noticing some changes in my Genital Area. so i told the herbalist about it, he asked me to go for a medical test, which i did. Lo and behold, My PCD was surprised to see my result out Negative,. I was overwhelmed with joy, I waited for 2 weeks to make sure the Virus was not laying dormant in my Nerve Cells, So i went for another test After the two months, And it had the same Negative result. I am forever indebted to you Doctor Razor. If you are having hard times with this same virus or you do know of anyone with herpes virus, i kindly recommend you to him. Email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp or Call his cell phone +2349065420442..,.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete