Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Access to Care in Rural Mexico


Anna Ruman, MD
Resident in Pediatrics at Massachusetts General Hospital 
PGY 2


I’ve just finished the first half of my global health elective with Partners in Health/Compañeros en Salud in Chiapas, Mexico and am very excited to report back. To briefly introduce myself, I am a second year pediatrics resident at MGH. I’m very interested in global and community health and hope to work with predominantly Spanish speaking communities in the US and abroad after residency. I decided to do my first of hopefully two international electives during residency to learn more about working in low resource settings, managing tropical diseases, teaching and learning from international colleagues, and of course understanding the Mexican healthcare system.
CES Clinic Matazano

As a bit of an orientation to my work, Partners In Health (PIH) is an international organization committed to improving the health of the poor by partnering with communities to delivery high quality health care. PIH’s Mexican partner organization, Compañeros en Salud (CES), operates out of 10 rural clinics in Chiapas, Mexico. As Resident Mentor with CES, my primary responsibility during the month long elective is to provide full-time bedside teaching for social service year physicians (pasantes) working in these rural sites. In addition, I plan to spend time at the Casa Materna, a house staffed by clinical providers in the larger city of Jaltenango. Essentially, women can come down from parts of the Sierra where there’s little access to obstetric care and spend 1-2 weeks prior to their due date at the Casa Materna to await their delivery, which would also occur in the Casa itself assuming it remains low risk. Overall, I’ll be spending about 90% of my time “in community” and the remainder at the Casa Materna or on various research or capacity building projects.

After arriving in Chiapas the first week of March, my first community assignment was Matazano, a community of approximately 600 people in the Sierra Madre. After an approximately 5-hour drive on mostly dirt roads, we arrived, and I met my colleague Doris, Matazano’s pasante, for the first time. For the next two weeks, we saw patients together Monday-Friday 8 AM-5 PM and Saturdays 8 AM-1 PM, although there were frequently emergencies in the evenings that kept us in clinic sometimes as late as 9 PM. Approximately 40% of all visits were children, which is of course where I had the most to offer in terms of teaching. With respect to the overall patient population, the most common reasons for visit included acute illness (respiratory, gastrointestinal), maintenance of chronic disease (asthma, diabetes, hypertension, mental health), routine obstetric visits, or urgent/emergency cases, mostly minor to moderate trauma. The pediatric cases trended more towards cough (allergic vs. postviral vs. asthma), acute vs. chronic diarrhea, fever (mostly viral illnesses), failure to thrive/malnutrition, adolescent mental and sexual health, routine newborn care, and minor to moderate trauma.

To step back for a moment – why does Compañeros en Salud work in Chiapas specifically, and why would a pediatrician be interested in working there? Well, I knew coming in that infant and maternal mortality in the Sierra region of Mexico had been identified to be much higher than the national average. Most female patients who I met had lost at least one child, often during infancy. The tradition in many rural communities in Chiapas is to leave a child unnamed until around the age of six months, that is to call them simply “niño” or “niña,” due to the reasonable possibility that the child would pass away. Similarly, new mothers don’t typically leave the home until 40 days postpartum due to fear of complications. This means that a provider doesn’t see a newborn until after one month of age, especially if they are born at home (a terrifying thought to most providers who care for infants). And lastly, children are rarely brought to physicians unless an acute care need arises due to the incredible difficulty and expense of transportation and overall poverty in the Sierra.

With these barriers in mind, Doris and I learned a lot together about neonatal fever, how critical congenital cardiac disease presents, which bronchiolitis baby is not like the other, when to start inhaled steroids in a dusty town with indoor wood burning stoves for cooking, how to use the nutritional supplements and rehydration solutions typically available in Mexico, when to clinically suspect varicella vs. measles vs. other red rashes of childhood, how to diagnose and manage UTIs without the availability of urinalysis, how often to suspect pediatric rheumatological diagnoses, how to clinically evaluate for fracture, and many other topics of discussion related to the patients that we saw. Incredibly busy, incredibly fulfilling, and just overall hard to describe.

Dona Mari's Tortillas
Of course, there was more than being in community than seeing patients. Each day, we ate two meals with Doña Mari. Fruit and vegetables are very hard to find in Matazano due to lack of reliable transport from the larger city, Jaltenango. However, Doña Mari always made amazing food with very limited ingredients. A typical breakfast included fresh eggs from her hens, black beans, hand made tortillas, and often a mild red sauce made from a local variety of tomato. We also always drank coffee prepared from the family’s coffee trees. For lunch, Doña Mari surprised us with a lot of treats, but probably the most unique was a crab and shrimp soup. Someone from the coast had driven up fresh seafood (about a 6-7 hour drive minimum) to sell in the community, and Doña Mari was so excited to have these ingredients to use. My favorite dish of all was a very traditional preparation of lentils from the Chiapas region in which fried plantains are mixed in. And the best part was learning about the community’s past and present from Doña Mari herself. Amazing!

In summary, I am so thankful for the learning and teaching experience I have had over the past few weeks. This week, I will be heading to another community, Soledad, to continue my teaching role with the pasante stationed there. In my next post, I’ll be describing both Soledad as well as my overall takeaways from this global health experience. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Hello everyone out there,the joy in me wouldn't just let me keep this to myself i was diagnosed of being herpes virus 1 & 2 positive in 2016,i was totally down,emotionally,i have been using the recommended drugs,i have spent so much money on trying to get rid of this disease from my system through medical attention,but all to no avail,all hope was lost cause i knew without me my family is nothing so i started doing research online on how to get this virus outta my body and i came across testimonies on how a certain DR RAZOR have been saving lives with his herbal medicine,i decided to contact him through the details that the testifiers provided and i was so lucky that he replied me and he asked me what i needed from him and i told him everything that i wanted him to do for me and he said no problem that there are some things that i needed to do which i did,and on the 2nd day of it i received a package from the UPS delivery service from the herbal DR RAZOR he told me how i was going to take the medication,after 18 days of taking it,he told me to go for a check up which i did,and that was when i got the overwhelming news of my life that am now HERPES 1&2 NEGATIVE.i recommend you all to contact this herbal doctor sent by GOD/ALLAH liberate all who is suffering from different disease or virus contact him on his clinic email address ;drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com  or whatsapp/call +2349065420442..thank you DR RAZOR

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have tried many treatment none of them worked out for me i have gone to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr RAZOR on the internet from a lady called Angela[USA] i contacted him and he reassured me of the effectiveness of his herbal medicine and he sent me thy medication after he promised to guide me, i took the medication according to the way he instructed, within 18 days i started having some changes in me and i went to the medical hospital for check up and i was confirmed herpes negative. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under 18 days i was totally freed from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR RAZOR for what he has done in my life. You can leave him a message on email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349065420442..
    He might as well be able to get rid of
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
    taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
    or call him on +2347030936239.
    DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
    1. HIV/AIDS .
    2. HERPES .
    3. CANCER .
    4. Hepatitis B AND C.
    5. Diabetes.
    6. Athrux,
    7. hydrophobia
    8.hpv .
    9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
    10 scabies .
    He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
    taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
    or call him on +2347030936239.
    DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
    1. HIV/AIDS .
    2. HERPES .
    3. CANCER .
    4. Hepatitis B AND C.
    5. Diabetes.
    6. Athrux,
    7. hydrophobia
    8.hpv .
    9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
    10 scabies .
    He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six weeks previously, I had attended my primary care doctor (PCD) with dysuria and was treated for a urinary tract infection, however, symptoms persisted. Several days later I noticed an acute onset of bilateral vulvar blisters. I was clinically diagnosed with genital herpes and commenced taking valacyclovir 500 mg bd for one week as instructed by my  PCD. The blisters resolved within five days, however, I developed burning and exquisite sensitivity to touch in both inner thighs and in my left buttock extending down my left leg and including the sole of my left foot and toes. I found that at times, I was unable to walk and sit. So returned to her PCD who told me to continue taking valacyclovir for another week, however, the burning persisted. And I knew this was never going to cure me. I sorted for Natural Herbs And Gos so good i came across doctor razor's Details,I contacted him and we spoke and he assured me everything is going to be permanently fine. Few days after I reached out to him he sent me herbal medicine to take for 18 days. after completing the dosage for 18 days. I started noticing some changes in my Genital Area. so i told the herbalist about it, he asked me to go for a medical test, which i did. Lo and behold, My PCD was surprised to see my result out Negative,. I was overwhelmed with joy, I waited for 2 weeks to make sure the Virus was not laying dormant in my Nerve Cells, So i went for another test After the two months, And it had the same Negative result. I am forever indebted to you Doctor Razor. If you are having hard times with this same virus or you do know of anyone with herpes virus, i kindly recommend you to him. Email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp or Call his cell phone +2349065420442..,.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Sincere Gratitude to Dr Razor, I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 November 13 2018, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, I was confused because the medical drugs has become my daily food, but i decided to sort after Natural Herbs. One day I sat beside the pool, Browsing and thinking where I could get a solution to end this my predicament. I saw a blog on how Dr Razor cured people with his herbal medicine, i did not believe but i just decided to give him a try, Visit Doctor's Razor's Website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome .I contacted him and he prepare the herbs for me which i took, and he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative, i am so happy. If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or call +2349065420442This testimonial serves as an expression of my gratitude.
    He also have a herbal cure for COLD SORE,
    SHINGLES,
    CANCER(Cannabis Oil),
    HPV,
    ASTHMA,
    IMPOTENCE,
    BARENESS/INFERTILITY ..
    Contact him on this email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , or call his cell phone number on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to use this medium to let everyone know that Herpes Simplex Virus has a complete and Permanent cure and that Dr Razor Herbal Medicine is the solution. I was Diagnosed with Herpes Virus type 1 in January 16, 2015, I have made several Research Hoping to see a true Cure or Healer, Fortunately for me i saw on a blog site how Dr Razor has been saving different lives and marriages with his herbal medicine, At first i did not believe but on a second thought, i decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he assured me of a cure, he prepared the herbal medication for me, which i took for 18 days, he told me to go for a medical check up, could you believe that i was confirm Herpes type 1 Negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also Negative, I became very happy and decided to write my appreciation article about this Good man. If you are battling with this same Infection or you know of a person who is infected with any disease like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis A,B,C, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, life's problems that you might have etc. kindly Reach out to Doctor Razor on Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442. You can Also Visit His website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . My Sincere Gratitude to you Sir, God will surely Keep you safe from harms way. Please share so Other lives can be saved

    ReplyDelete