Wednesday, May 23, 2018

What is Obstetric Fistula?

Helai Hesham
Fellow in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
PGY-6
 What is Obstetric Fistula?

The Freedom from Fistula Foundation just celebrated their 10 year anniversary in Lilongwe, Malawi. The facility has become a stand-alone center on the grounds of Bwaila hospital in the center of town.  They do nearly 350 fistula repairs yearly with a infrastructure that has trained local and foreign fistula surgeons throughout the years. While caring for women and training surgeons, they have also built a 10 year database of all their patients including follow up to be able to conduct responsible and much needed research within the field. I have been lucky enough to witness this dedicated group of providers treat countless women from Malawi and surrounding countries whose lives have been devastated by vaginal fistulas for the past month.
My introduction to the fistula center was filled with smiles and warm embraces. Although a relative stranger, the management, nursing and providers all welcomed me as if I was coming back home. The rest of the month continued in the same manner, and time after time, I saw the affection that they so easily extend to me extended to patient after patient. Amidst the smiles that would greet me every morning when entering the ward, I saw the grim reality of obstetric fistula.  Although I had attempted to prepare myself and had read much about the condition prior to my arrival in country, the pathophysiology – how it affects a person mind, body, and soul is not something that comes across the pages of textbooks. I had much to learn. 

Patients arrived to the fistula center in several different ways. Patients living close – within a day of walking, usually arrived on their own by foot. Patients farther away would have the fistula center ambulances bring them to the center in large groups.  After getting checked in, they would then wait to be screened. Initial screening includes a thorough history and physical by nursing staff. A physician or clinical officer would then also see the patients, check physical examination findings and make plans regarding possible repair or preoperative optimization.  All patients would be screened for HIV status and possible anemia. Many patients would have surgery deferred as they would find that they were positive for HIV and would need to obtain treatment first and have optimized viral loads.  Nearly all patients would have malnutrition and be placed on a high protein diet, multivitamins and Fe, especially if they were expected to have larger repairs requiring flaps or abdominal procedures.  Patients would then await their surgical date, often remaining inpatient while being optimized. If they had small children, the children would also stay in the facility.

What was most impressive was that the degree of assault that an obstetric fistula had on the pelvic floor, hearts, minds and bodies of these patients. Obstetric fistula occurs when woman have prolonged, obstructed labor courses.  When labor goes unattended, labor can continue for days – this length of time leads to soft tissue necrosis where the baby’s head lays within the pelvis. This often leads to a hole between the vagina and the bladder or the rectum. While many focus on this hole and treating this assault surgically, it’s important to realize that there is much more damage. Patients would not only be leaking urine or feces constantly; some would also have foot drop. Some patients would have lower extremity contractures so severe that they would require weeks of physical therapy to allow them to bear weight.  Most would also be struggling with depression and decreased self-worth. Many considered fistula to be an affliction that was given to them by a higher power. Others were considered to be witches within their communities and had been ostracized from the communities they were once a part of.  And yet, these women, when they would see us in the morning would smile a greeting in hopes that by the end of their stay with us, their maladies would be treated.

5 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of HPV as soon as i feel the symptoms of HPV is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Onokun for natural treatment, it works wonders and amazingly. Ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these virus anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this disease. Any HPV or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Onokun to get ride of any disease forever his You can contact him on his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or you can reach out to me for more info about this treatment. text/call me i live in the USA (208) 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr Oliver has done for me and my family. i have be suffering from HERPES for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him ( droliverherbalcenter@gmail.com ) or Whats App:+2348075376153 and get your healing.

    ReplyDelete