Wednesday, May 23, 2018

More than Fistula


Helai Hesham
Fellow in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
PGY-6
More than Fistula
After a month of working and doing research at the Freedom from Fistula Foundation in Lilongwe, Malawi I realized that we do so much more than surgical repairs of fistula. When you find yourself in a new setting, you often focus on what you want to see first. My initial thoughts and views of the fistula clinic centered on their surgical and research acumen. I was hoping to learn all the could be learned regarding preoperative and postoperative care. To see and learn what surgical techniques are best for which patients. To find which research goals could help the center grow and progress. What I didn’t initially look for was how these patients were also being taken care of holistically. Although I wasn’t looking for it, to not see the supportive care and education that was also provided for these women would be impossible.
Fistula surgery and recovery in third world settings provide a unique situation where many patients must stay inpatient for weeks within the fistula center. These weeks are not spent laying in a bed recuperating from surgery though – they are full of education and therapy.  Many women who deal with fistula are often ostracized from both their communities and families. They are usually without any financial security and live in outskirts of town.  A physical assault to their bodies turns into an assault on their financial and social worth. The Freedom from Fistula Foundation understands this dynamic and works hard to empower these women as well as fix their fistulas.

I saw first hand the educational and work opportunities that were taught daily in the classroom in the back of the clinic. The classroom was used to teach literacy and to impart skills that these women could then use to provide a living for themselves once out of the center. There were a few different projects that I was able to observe - the first was the pad project. Women were taught how to create reusable cloth pads that could be used for menses. The women could sell these to other women in their communities. This was helpful not only financially to the fistula patients, but also to the communities that would then have access to a source of sanitary pads. Many girls in the communities would stop going to school once they began menses due to social stigma and this would be one way to combat that practice.

Other forms of education were also happening daily - including sessions regarding fertility and need for contraception after surgery to ensure healing. Patients were also taught why fistula occurs and how to reduce the possibility of others getting obstetric fistulas. One of the most empowering roles that were also given to willing patients was the role of patient ambassador.  Patient ambassadors would be women who were post fistula repair. They would return to their villages and educate other women regarding fistula but also make sure that women who have fistulas know of the option for repair at our center. Patient ambassadors would often return after referring patients and discuss how they feel they were uplifting their communities and how important their roles were to empower women. The more time I spent at the fistula center, the more I realized that these women weren’t just healed surgically, but they were given the tools they needed to survive and thrive.

4 comments:

  1. I am here to tell you all how i was cured from Herpes infection by Dr Razor with his herbal medicine i once had the problem of Hepatitis B which affected my work for years i have been using different medication but there was no solution, i search the net and i found the contact of Dr Razor who help me with his product on curing Herpes problem and Other deadly diseases, he also assured me that it is a permanent cure, so i work with himas he ask and i took the medication for just 21 days and i was back to normal. for months now i have been doing fine.I give all thanks to Dr Razor for helping me out of such problem now am the happiest person on earth for seeing myself doing better again.you can also contact him on email drrazorherbalhome@ gmail. com whats app him on +2349065420442
    Dr Razor cure the flowing virus
    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure ringing ear
    3 ringing ear warts cure
    4 Hiv/Aids
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Jaundice
    8 pregnancy herbal medicine
    9 prostate enlargement
    10 Hepatitis B and many more 

    ReplyDelete
  2. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of HPV as soon as i feel the symptoms of HPV is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Onokun for natural treatment, it works wonders and amazingly. Ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these virus anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this disease. Any HPV or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Onokun to get ride of any disease forever his You can contact him on his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or you can reach out to me for more info about this treatment. text/call me i live in the USA (208) 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr Oliver has done for me and my family. i have be suffering from HERPES for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him ( droliverherbalcenter@gmail.com ) or Whats App:+2348075376153 and get your healing.

    ReplyDelete