Monday, July 3, 2017

Developing Cardiovascular Care in Tanzania


Mazen Albaghdadi, MD MSc
Graduate Assistant, Interventional Cardiology
Fellow, Vascular Medicine and Intervention
Massachusetts General Hospital
PGY9

Developing Cardiovascular Care in Tanzania

I was delighted to return to the Jakaya Kikwete Cardiovascular Institute (JKCI) at the Muhumbili University of Health and Allied Sciences in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. It’s been a year since I last visited and I was eager to see the progress that has been made in the cardiac cath lab where I spent most of my efforts training local cardiologists in the techniques of interventional cardiology.  After arriving, I reviewed with my local colleagues 2 cases of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) that had been treated the day before my arrival at the JKCI. I was impressed by their ability to technically and logistically manage the care of these complex and severely ill patients. Equally impressive, was the evolution of a referral network that transferred in these patients to the JKCI from surrounding clinics and hospital. This network has steadily been evolving since my last visit, and requires the concerted efforts of administrators, clinicians, and most importantly the trust of patients and the community.

Division of Cardiology Weekly Meeting

Based on our discussion of the STEMI cases, I was asked to share a case. I had the opportunity to present a case at the Division of Cardiology weekly meeting. It was excellent experience, but unique in that I was flanked by pharmaceutical industry banners….a new experience in my short and non-illustrious academic career!

No comments:

Post a Comment