Thursday, June 29, 2017

Leaving

Pediatric Hospital Care in Uganda
Scott Nabity, MD, MPH
Resident in Medicine-Pediatrics at MGH
PGY 4

Leaving
February 3, 2017

When the time comes to head back to the U.S., I feel both positivity and regret.
The positive excitement largely represents the longing I feel for the return to comforts of home, familiarity, friends, and family. It also comes from reflection on the contribution, regardless how small, my interactions may have had on the work of frontline Ugandan clinicians. Regret, conversely, seeps from a place where not giving enough and missed opportunities reside. While the clinical need appears endless, we are not interminable beings, and sustainability requires some attention to self. Choosing impact rich activities helps, too.

Teaching session for staff at a district health center
During my last trip to MUST, I was given the opportunity to break away from the main hospital and see the workings of one district health clinic. In exchange, I was asked to given an educational lecture, a simple but brilliant arrangement. I talked about pharyngitis, something the clinic staff had asked to learn about. They simplified a complex health system for me and walked me through some clinical decision pathways where only clinical impression is at play. While I’d also spent an afternoon of clinical work in the hypertension clinic, I surmise the lasting effect of a few hours of educational swappery far outlasts the impact of a few blood pressure measurements and med changes. I hope I added something to the armory of the bright Ugandan clinicians I interfaced with then. They had clearly taught me more about how to navigate an environment where resources are limited.

The MGH-MUST Global Health Collaborative is an established, multifaceted, long-term investment in research and education. Over the course of three years, the collaborative provided me freedom to better identify sustainably oriented opportunities in such settings, even when strictly short-term in contact and scope. Because we often arrive focused on hard outcomes – abstracts written, research studies funded, gadgets produced, procedures performed – the simplicity of exchanging information as the desired outcome can fall aside. Hard outcomes are important, but so are the soft ones. I’m fortunate to have had the privilege to learn about choosing wisely.


3 comments:


  1. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    Diabetes
    Arthritis
    sicklecell
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete