Thursday, May 11, 2017

SURGICAL TEACHING AT SCOTTISH LIVINGSTONE HOSPITAL: MOLEPOLOLE, BOTSWANA

Anuja Singh
Resident in OB/GYN at MGH/BWH
PGY3

SURGICAL TEACHING AT SCOTTISH LIVINGSTONE HOSPITAL: MOLEPOLOLE, BOTSWANA 

As a third year OB/GYN resident, teaching is an important part of my job. Initially, much of it was clinical knowledge and management but as time has gone on and my own skills have developed, it has also been teaching procedures and surgical techniques. In the US, however, we have the luxury of having attendings closely observing and supervising in every case, big or small. In Botswana, interns and medical officers do not always, or even often, have this benefit. Scottish Livingstone Hospital (SLH) is a 200-bed facility in Molepolole, about 60 km from the capital Gabarone. There are 4 hospital departments: Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, and Surgery. Each department has 1-2 attendings. Teaching is a primary goal for all of the attending physicians but, given clinical demands and number of trainees, always having one on one training, as I often enjoy in my clinics or surgeries, is not possible. Moreover, it could be argued that for an attending to watch over a medical officer’s each and every clinical or surgical decision would not be in that medical officer’s best interest as medical officers take call overnight by themselves, covering all of OB/GYN and doing whatever needs to be done, though with attending physicians available for by phone and for in person assistance in case of emergency. Medical officers must, therefore, quickly gain confidence in their skills and decision making, knowing that help is, though available, certainly not in the building. 

In this setting, one of the main ways I felt like I could contribute at SLH was by teaching the interns and medical officers. During my second week at the hospital, one of the medical officers approached me after hearing about a woman with a first trimester missed abortion who needed to undergo a dilation and evacuation. While she was not assigned to the unit taking care of this patient, the medical officer had done an evacuation the prior week that was unsuccessful and thus had been on the lookout for more so she could get better. I happily agreed and we together took the patient to the operating room. 

While it was a minor procedure, this was the first time I had taught it without the reassuring presence of an attending behind me, adding an extra little tip here and there and, more importantly, providing me with the comfort that help was at hand should anything go awry. Thankfully, though, it did not. I talked the medical officer through the procedure, trying to strike the balance between guiding her through it while still allowing her to do the procedure and gain confidence and making sure the patient was safe that my teachers had seemed to do so easily. She did great and so did the patient. 

The next week the medical officer found me after morning report. She had been on call that past weekend and a patient had come in bleeding with an incomplete abortion. The medical officer had taken the patient to the OR herself, completed the evacuation and the patient had gone home, her bleeding resolved.

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete