Thursday, May 11, 2017

OB/GYN AT SCOTTISH LIVINGSTONE HOSPITAL: MOLEPOLOLE, BOTSWANA

Anuja Singh
Resident in OB/GYN at MGH/BWH
PGY3

OB/GYN AT SCOTTISH LIVINGSTONE HOSPITAL: MOLEPOLOLE, BOTSWANA 

A day at Scottish Livingstone Hospital in the OB/GYN department is a whirlwind. Scottish Livingstone Hospital (SLH) is a 200-bed facility in Molepolole, about 60 km from the capital Gabarone. There are 4 hospital departments: Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, and Surgery. The day starts with a hospital-wide morning report – a recounting of what happened in the night – given by the two medical officers and one intern that staff the entire hospital during those hours. After this update, everyone would go to his or her respective assignments for the day.
My schedule varied from day to day, echoing that my mentor and former chief resident, Dr. Rebecca Luckett. Rebecca is an OB/GYN who also trained at BWH/MGH and moved to Botswana with her family shortly after completing residency. She has now been there for a bit over a year and has become an integral part of the hospital and a respected leader there. Rebecca and Suzie Anderson, an excellent OB/GYN who started her training at SLH and completed her residency in South Africa, are the two OB/GYN attendings at the hospital. Rebecca’s phone is going off throughout the day and often the evening, with doctors, trainees, and staff from SLH and from throughout the district it serves calling to get her opinion, advice, and help. She is uniformly kind, thoughtful, and helpful, somehow managing never to sound rushed or flustered even when three people are talking to her almost at once, as she also sees a patient in clinic. 

On Monday and Wednesdays, I joined Rebecca in clinic, seeing patients referred for gynecology and high-risk obstetrics care respectively. Tuesday and Thursday were OR days. Walking in to the Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic (SRH) on those clinic days, women, often with children would be filling rows and rows of seat in the waiting area and milling around outside. We would walk in to the exam rooms with women already lined up, ready to be seen, outside the door, clutching their health cards. After the first week or so, Rebecca and I would see patients in different rooms, splitting the 30-40 of them between us. From a woman with multi-fibroid uterus the size of a 30-week pregnancy desperate to become pregnant to the 60-year-old HIV positive woman who came in with a little bleeding and we found to have a cervical mass filling her vagina, I was challenged and humbled by the patients I saw. I was impressed both by their strength in the face of hard news and a difficult course forward and the immense amount of work, organization, persistence, and creativity required to take care of them in a world without ready access to a robust blood bank, infertility therapy, or easy access to oncology care.
 
Tuesdays and Thursdays in the OR were of course interesting and challenging in different ways. The ORs in many ways looked on the surface much like our ORs here at BWH/MGH and functioned, in many respects, similarly as well. Rebecca’s cases, too, were typical gynecology cases – from dilation and evacuations and marsupialization of cysts to myomectomies and hysterectomies. Key differences, however, made me think about surgery in new ways. First, while SLH has a blood bank, the blood bank does not always have blood. Before doing a large surgery, especially one like a myomectomy which can easily have a significant blood loss, it was critical to make sure the blood bank was aware and equipped and, finally, that they had not had to give those precious units of blood to someone else that came in overnight. In addition, while I think of anesthesia care hand in glove with ORs as if they somehow travel together, this was a definite challenge in Botswana. There are simply not sufficient trained anesthesia providers. Medical officers, in fact, are proficient in admonished conscious sedation, something I have never done after three years of residency in the US. For larger cases, however, this is clearly not enough. SLH has two anesthesiologists and one nurse anesthetist, making their call one in three nights. In this setting, it is not uncommon to have insufficient anesthesia support for scheduled surgeries come early afternoon, a challenge for Rebecca, the medical officers, and, especially, the patients, who may remain in the hospital for several days waiting for their surgery.

Friday is more flexible, allowing more time to be spent on the inpatient services. Nurse midwives largely manage Labor and Delivery, calling when they need help. The Antenatal Ward is generally the one most demanding of attention, with women there for everything for rule out labor to severe pre-eclampsia to rupture of membranes early in pregnancy and TB sepsis. Like in the US, rounds involve review of the data, patient evaluation, and making a plan for the day. Diagnostics, however, are obviously more limited and, given the tight resources, significant dedication and follow-through are required to get labs, x-rays, and ultrasounds done, particularly in a timely fashion. For instance, Interns and medical officers do all of the blood draws. While there is a system to transfer specimens to the lab, it is not uncommon to find tubes of blood in the ward cooler at the end of the day, so if information is needed, it needs to be run down to the lab personally.
The day and the week thus pass in a blur of clinic, wards, and surgery, each day full and sometimes exhausting but immensely rewarding.


11 comments:

  1. This article is very much convincing and appealing. I have got to learn a lot from this article. You might be having the curiosity to know about our company and what business we are dealing with. If you are looking for the client list to achieve your business goals, E-Health Care Lists helps you in reaching that goal by providing you with the prepackaged and customized database which helps you to come across the qualified and interested audiences that places an immediate order for your products. Please refer to Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology Email List & Mailing List for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really selected the suitable topic; this is one of my favorite blogs.obgyn doctor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was getting bore since morning but as soon as I got this link & reached at this blog, I turned into fresh and also joyful too. Cancer doctor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sole other way of possibly affording ivf clinic is to travel into debt for the $15,000 - $20,000 or more needed to hide in vitro fertilization (IVF) or other fertility costs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording about obstetricians & gynecologists. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. best gynecologist in raja park

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post. Thanks for sharing with us.
    I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work..
    best gynecologist in noida
    best gynecologist in noida for normal delivery
    top gynaecologist in noida
    gynae in noida
    top gynecologist in noida
    best gynecologist hospital in noida
    top 10 gynecologist in noida
    best obstetrician in noida
    top 5 gynecologist in noida
    male gynaecologist in noida
    top 10 gynaecologist in noida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr SN Mohanty is the Best Gynecological Laparoscopy Surgeon.
    Dr. SN Mohanty has extensive experience in all major aspects of gynecology.

    Dr. SN Mohanty is the Best Gynecologist in Bhubaneswar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this proceedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. URGENT LOAN IS AVAILABLE NOW

    TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT $760K FROM A RELIABLE,TRUSTED AND REGISTERED PRIVATE LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK,BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? ARE NOW AFFORDABLE HERE FOR YOU TODAY CONTACT Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan from PROF. MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS (profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00 to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender?
    MRS.DOROTHY JEAN holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Contacts Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete