Thursday, February 21, 2019

Neurologic Care at a Referral Hospital in Zambia


Jeffrey Gluckstein, M.D. 
Resident in neurology at BWH/MGH
PGY-3


February 15, 2019

I’m currently working on the neurology service in a referral center in Zambia. There are three Zambian adult neurology residents and only one attending supervising the inpatient clinical services at any given time. With nearly 1700 patients in the hospital, the neurologists are stretched thin between the wards, ICU, clinics, and consults.

I chose to spend four weeks in Zambia because I wanted learn to provide neurological care in a resource-limited tropical setting. So far, my PGY-3 neurology colleague from Rush and I have focused on recently-admitted inpatients. My typical day involves entering a room with 48 male patients and literally walking from bed-to-bed to determine whether patients have neurologic problems. I write notes and give my thoughts to the families, interns, and nurses. I repeat the process in the female ward, eat a late lunch, and check in on consults and old patients scattered around the hospital in the afternoon. We typically spend about 9 hours in the hospital before coming home for a quiet night.

In my first week I saw 44 new patients and discussed many more with my colleagues. 11 were ischemic strokes, 7 were intracerebral hemorrhages, 7 were seizures, and 4 were CNS TB (either meningitis or tuberculomas). To keep things interesting, we also saw likely metronidazole toxicity in a patient with undetected AKI and 2.5 weeks of antibiotic therapy, severe hydrocephalus in previously undiagnosed neurocysticercosis, and a case of clinically diagnosed Morvan syndrome now responsive to IVIg. The average patient age was 48. While infectious diseases bring the majority of my young patients to the hospital, a surprising number have intracerebral hemorrhages and ischemic strokes without a clear underlying cause (through the resource limitations make the hunt for a definitive diagnosis difficult).

All charting is done on paper - and I mean all of it. Old notes from previous admissions or clinic visits sit in a stack at the bedside. Test results have to be manually retrieved by nursing from the laboratory and stapled to the chart. Discs of cross-sectional imaging are added to the chart with a paper copy of the radiology evaluation added 1-2 days after the scan is done (for patients wealthy and stable enough to obtain imaging at an outside facility, as the hospital’s 2 CT scanners and 1 MRI are both broken at the moment). Orders are entered in notes and the medication administration record, but often aren’t acted upon until the busy nurses have the chance to review them, deliver a paper prescription to the pharmacy, and bring back a medication. 

Despite the resource limitations and my lack of familiarity with neuroepidemiology in Zambia, I feel that an American neurology resident can be useful here. The hospital is absolutely deluged with neurological illness, so there are many patients who would wait a long time to be seen by a neurologist without me looking at their chart, asking for their chief complaint, or simply spotting a neglect or gaze palsy from across the room. Neurophobia is probably more prevalent among interns than in the United States, so identifying deficits on exam, explaining a diagnosis to a patient, or slightly modifying care plans can greatly advance management. Of course, I’m learning an incredible amount from the trainees and practicing neurologists here. CNS tuberculosis or cysticercosis are rare cases in Boston, but they’re becoming my bread and butter. Perhaps more importantly, I’m learning to trust by history and exam more completely, as diagnostic testing can take days and patients often need urgent treatment based on clinical diagnoses. I hope to become even more helpful as I become more familiar with local epidemiology, the available medications, and our limited diagnostic tests.


9 comments:

  1. Hello everyone out there,the joy in me wouldn't just let me keep this to myself i was diagnosed of being herpes virus 1 & 2 positive in 2016,i was totally down,emotionally,i have been using the recommended drugs,i have spent so much money on trying to get rid of this disease from my system through medical attention,but all to no avail,all hope was lost cause i knew without me my family is nothing so i started doing research online on how to get this virus outta my body and i came across testimonies on how a certain DR RAZOR have been saving lives with his herbal medicine,i decided to contact him through the details that the testifiers provided and i was so lucky that he replied me and he asked me what i needed from him and i told him everything that i wanted him to do for me and he said no problem that there are some things that i needed to do which i did,and on the 2nd day of it i received a package from the UPS delivery service from the herbal DR RAZOR he told me how i was going to take the medication,after 18 days of taking it,he told me to go for a check up which i did,and that was when i got the overwhelming news of my life that am now HERPES 1&2 NEGATIVE.i recommend you all to contact this herbal doctor sent by GOD/ALLAH liberate all who is suffering from different disease or virus contact him on his clinic email address ;drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com  or whatsapp/call +2349065420442..thank you DR RAZOR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal remedy has a very effective power that help cure this deadly infection i never believed on this not until i met with RAZOR who help me get rid of my HERPES disease which i have been suffering from for the past 2 years,i was on medical treatment but i later realized that i have been losing my money on the drugs that never worked for me but caused greater harm than Good, I will forever be grateful to herbal doctor RAZOR whom GOD sent to me in my time of need to help me get rid of this infection you can also reach him to via his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) WhatsApp or call his cell +2349065420442,he also made this known to me that he also treats HIV/AIDS,JAUNDICE,DEMENTIA,HEPATITIS,CANCER ETC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbal remedy has a very effective power that help cure this deadly infection i never believed on this not until i met with RAZOR who help me get rid of my HERPES disease which i have been suffering from for the past 2 years,i was on medical treatment but i later realized that i have been losing my money on the drugs that never worked for me but caused greater harm than Good, I will forever be grateful to herbal doctor RAZOR whom GOD sent to me in my time of need to help me get rid of this infection you can also reach him to via his email (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) WhatsApp or call his cell +2349065420442,he also made this known to me that he also treats HIV/AIDS,JAUNDICE,DEMENTIA,HEPATITIS,CANCER ETC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
    taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
    or call him on +2347030936239.
    DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
    1. HIV/AIDS .
    2. HERPES .
    3. CANCER .
    4. Hepatitis B AND C.
    5. Diabetes.
    6. Athrux,
    7. hydrophobia
    8.hpv .
    9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
    10 scabies .
    He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day viewer, I am Nurse Sonia kuffin from Austria . It has happened the way you said it will sir. Daddy am very happy today for your help in my life, doctor Chukwu Madu herbal home you cured me finally from Herpes virus, I was infected with this deadly virus in the year 2012 and i was
    taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBALHOME how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 11 days later i tested negative for HERPES, Dr.CHUKWU MADU truly you are great,It's Good for herpes patient to please read my testimony becuase People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation,herpes has a long term effects on health and The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his email (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com) .
    or call him on +2347030936239.
    DOCTOR CHUKWU MADU CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING VIRUS:-
    1. HIV/AIDS .
    2. HERPES .
    3. CANCER .
    4. Hepatitis B AND C.
    5. Diabetes.
    6. Athrux,
    7. hydrophobia
    8.hpv .
    9 pregnancy spell and bring back your ex back .
    10 scabies .
    He cures any kind if viruses and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Six weeks previously, I had attended my primary care doctor (PCD) with dysuria and was treated for a urinary tract infection, however, symptoms persisted. Several days later I noticed an acute onset of bilateral vulvar blisters. I was clinically diagnosed with genital herpes and commenced taking valacyclovir 500 mg bd for one week as instructed by my  PCD. The blisters resolved within five days, however, I developed burning and exquisite sensitivity to touch in both inner thighs and in my left buttock extending down my left leg and including the sole of my left foot and toes. I found that at times, I was unable to walk and sit. So returned to her PCD who told me to continue taking valacyclovir for another week, however, the burning persisted. And I knew this was never going to cure me. I sorted for Natural Herbs And Gos so good i came across doctor razor's Details,I contacted him and we spoke and he assured me everything is going to be permanently fine. Few days after I reached out to him he sent me herbal medicine to take for 18 days. after completing the dosage for 18 days. I started noticing some changes in my Genital Area. so i told the herbalist about it, he asked me to go for a medical test, which i did. Lo and behold, My PCD was surprised to see my result out Negative,. I was overwhelmed with joy, I waited for 2 weeks to make sure the Virus was not laying dormant in my Nerve Cells, So i went for another test After the two months, And it had the same Negative result. I am forever indebted to you Doctor Razor. If you are having hard times with this same virus or you do know of anyone with herpes virus, i kindly recommend you to him. Email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp or Call his cell phone +2349065420442..,.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to use this medium to let everyone know that Herpes Simplex Virus has a complete and Permanent cure and that Dr Razor Herbal Medicine is the solution. I was Diagnosed with Herpes Virus type 1 in January 16, 2015, I have made several Research Hoping to see a true Cure or Healer, Fortunately for me i saw on a blog site how Dr Razor has been saving different lives and marriages with his herbal medicine, At first i did not believe but on a second thought, i decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he assured me of a cure, he prepared the herbal medication for me, which i took for 18 days, he told me to go for a medical check up, could you believe that i was confirm Herpes type 1 Negative after the test, and i went to a different hospital and it was also Negative, I became very happy and decided to write my appreciation article about this Good man. If you are battling with this same Infection or you know of a person who is infected with any disease like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis A,B,C, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, life's problems that you might have etc. kindly Reach out to Doctor Razor on Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442. You can Also Visit His website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . My Sincere Gratitude to you Sir, God will surely Keep you safe from harms way. Please share so Other lives can be saved

    ReplyDelete