Monday, December 11, 2017

Day 2 – The Real Work Begins

Susan Sotardi
Fellow, Neuroradiology at MGH
PGY7

Day 2 – The Real Work Begins 

Day 2
I arrived at Black Lion Hospital at 730am with Issack, MR technologist and my colleague from RadAid. I immediately went to the reading room, and Issack started work in the MR suite. The morning readout session was filled with cases that are unusual in the US, a 10 year-old child with nasopharyngeal carcinoma, a 35 year-old man with disseminated tuberculosis. After the readout with the attendings, several residents on their neuroradiology rotation asked me to sit with them to review cases. We discussed the findings and their interpretation. I pointed out anatomy and explained my thought process. I found the residents to be extremely competent and eager to learn.

At noon, I joined Issack in the MR suite for a training session with the MR technologists. The technologists were also very knowledgeable and excited to learn physics. Issack lectured about MR physics and image optimization. I fielded questions about the clinical implications of the studies. The technologists had many questions, such as what MR sequences are helpful for different diseases and when should gadolinium be used for MRI. I realized then that gadolinium contrast costs around $125 USD, which is the entire life-savings for many patients. Often in the US, we don’t think twice about giving contrast agents; but in this situation, the decision needed to be entirely justified.

Around 1pm, I gave my first lecture to the residents, focusing on pediatric head trauma. Residents took cases and descried the findings and clinical implications, similar to residents in the US. I returned to the reading room for the afternoon session and looked at cases with residents until around 6pm.

In the evening, Issack and I met over coffee to discuss our respective days and the information we had learned. By piecing together multiple perspectives, we learned that several MRI coils were not working and that the MR machine had not been serviced in months. The technologists didn’t even have a working metal detector. In fact, the MR machine sold to Black Lion did not have a formal service contract with the vendor, which is a standard aspect of sales negotiations in the US. This contract is a critical component to the maintenance of the machine. This million dollar machine, one of a handful of MR machines in a country of 100 million people, is slowly falling apart. We emailed Dr. Mollura (CEO of RadAid) to update him on our findings. I was shocked to learn that this situation is a frequent occurrence in the developing world, where contract negotiations fail to encompass the long-term needs of the infrastructure.  

Susan gives her first lecture at Black Lion Hospital.


4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone i want to thank herbal doctor razor for what he did in my life,i was diagnosed of herpes virus 3 years ago and ever since then i have been battling with this deadly virus,i have tried countless medical treatment but all to no avail,i got to know that this medical drugs never really cures this disease but rather it makes the disease stay dormant in the body and the medical drugs has been causing me severe damages other than helping me out,being frustrated with the medical treatment i decided against taking the medical treatment and opted for African herbs because i have seen the great importance of herbs at a very tender age,i began searching different forums for a true healer of this infection it was during this period of time i came across a testimony on how herbalist Razor has been saving lives with his herbal medicine ,i decided to contact him with the hope of getting my redemption,i contacted him with the details provided by the testifier DONNA BECKY,and we spoke,he told me not to worry after i have explained everything to him and he promised to help me get rid of the deadly infection and he told me what i needed to do which i did and 4 days after contacting him i received a parcel from the UPS delivery service and it was from this great herbal doctor RAZOR,i told him i received the parcel he sent to me,so he later guided me on how i was to take the herbal medicine and after 21 days of taking his herbs i began noticing some changes in my health i explained to him and he told me to go for a medical test and to my greatest surprise the same medical doctor who broke the sad news to me 3 years ago told me that it was a miracle how my STATUS has changed from positive to negativity.i was overwhelmed with joy,i made him a promise if he was able to cure me that i will make sure the world gets to know of his work.thank you so much sir.you can contact him if you are having similar problem via his clinic email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call him on +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  4. TO EVERYONE BATTLING WITH HERPES INFECTION ,I want to quickly drop my life story on how a specialized healer called DR RAZOR cured me from HERPES virus, A good man who have used his herbal roots and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease. I was infected with HERPES virus and I never thought HERPES virus could be cured,but with the medication DR RAZOR sent to me i was cured,I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HERPES,who dropped the email and phone contact of the doctor.I really thank FLORENCE for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HERPES cure and send it to me via DHL And i got cured within 18 days of using the herbal medicine,Contact him through E-MAIL drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +2349065420442. He can Also cure Infections like :HSV 1 & HSV 2ASTHMADIABETESEPILEPSYCANCERINFERTILITYSTAPHYLOCOCCUS.BARRENNESSHIV /AIDSHEPATITIS B Kidney?

    ReplyDelete