Thursday, April 27, 2017

See One, Do One, Teach One in Mirebalais, Haiti

Oren Johnson, MD 
Resident in Diagnostic Radiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital 
PGY 5

See One, Do One, Teach One in Mirebalais, Haiti

My days have been busy. The clinical teams are not used to having radiologists on site, and have been keen to involve us in their clinical work.  At morning report, we were asked by the medicine team to ultrasound one of their patients for lower extremity deep venous thrombosis (DVT).  The patient had presented with sudden onset leg pain and swelling. She had been started on anticoagulation, but the team wanted to make sure she had a DVT. The patient lived hours away and logistically checking her INR would be nearly impossible.


Hopital Universitaire de Mirebalais Resident Learn to Perform DVT Ultrasound
I met the residents in the Women’s Ward around 5pm. When I got there, they had the ultrasound machine setup for me, or at least, that’s what I thought when I saw the machine near the patient. I picked up the ultrasound probe to start and scan the patient’s leg, when I was quickly stopped. The resident asked if he could scan. He wanted to show me his understanding of DVT ultrasound and asked me to correct him as he proceeded. This proved to be a great lesson for me on many fronts.

First, there was no point in me just doing the ultrasound without building his capacity to perform/interpret them on his own. Second, it allowed me to gauge the resident’s baseline knowledge and tailor my teaching. Third, I had no idea how to turn their machine on. The resident proceeded to scan and make a finding in the patient’s posterior calf.  He knew it wasn’t a DVT, but also knew it wasn’t normal. The patient had a ruptured Baker’s cyst, explaining her pain/swelling, and allowing them to stop anticoagulation. It was a fun finding to make, and it had immediate impact. I gave feedback on the resident’s technique, showed him how I would have scanned, and figured we could call it a day.

I was wrong. The resident then asked me if we could scan the other 3 patients on that side of the ward.  He wanted to reinforce what he learned. I was impressed with the initiative and was happy to oblige. All 3 patients were normal, but the resident improved each time on his ability to obtain the images he needed.

The next day after Morning Report, the resident asked if I would check another patient for DVT. He was pretty sure he diagnosed a popliteal DVT.  I double-checked him, and sure enough he had diagnosed a DVT. He called the other residents on the ward over and proudly showed them his finding.  I couldn’t have been happier.
Hopital Universitaire de Mirebalais Resident Performs DVT Ultrasound

 

4 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often, people with diabetes don't realize just exactly how many diabetic food choices are available. From sweet and scrumptious fruits to tasty low fat yogurt, there are many diabetic foods that will qualify for your diabetes diet while satisfying your food cravings. mcdonalds for diabetics

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are wondering how you may become a CNA, well then let me provide you with the necessary information. First and foremost you may need to assess your character and personality, mainly because a CNA job can be really challenging and emotionally frustrating, especially if you don't have a genuine love and interest in helping patients who are less fortunate. cna classes online

    ReplyDelete
  4. . This approach is what has become known as the conventional system of modern medicine. Of course, all of this was part of the master plan - to throw much of humanity into the other end of the spectrum of duality for the purposes of greater learning and growth in consciousness. Real roxicodone online

    ReplyDelete