Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Interminable ICU Stay – CHUK, Kigali, Rwanda

Erin Blackstock, MD  
Resident in Internal Medicine, MGH
PGY3

During previous rotations, I had been told that medicine patients are often not admitted to the ICU because of their poor prognoses.  While medicine patients may in fact have poor prognoses, I do not think this is the reason they are infrequently admitted to the ICU.  During my rotation, consistently 5-6 beds of the 7 bed unit were taken by neurosurgery patients, the majority after severe TBI.  As one bed opened, the bed would immediately be filled with another TBI.  Some attendings suggested that this occurred because the neurosurgeon advocates strongly for his patients.  He did, but so did other surgeons and internists.  Rather, I think this distribution stems from a severe bottleneck.  Severe TBI or other neurological ailments resulting in coma typically require weeks to months of ventilator support as we await potential recovery.  LTACs do not exist.  If no one leaves, no one enters.  The absence of a bed, however, does not necessarily stop an intubation in the ED.  Waiting for days (with or without a ventilator)in an overworked, understaffed, chaotic  ED is not the place where a patient intubated because they “can’t”  breath thrives, but a patient who “won’t” breath may do just fine.  Days later a bed opens and the comatose patient who survived days in the ED moves in. 

How can we start to remedy this bottleneck issue? Callously one could recommend not intubating these patients with terrible GCSs since the prognosis is truly poor.   Unfortunately it is difficult to determine the prognosis immediately on arrival.  Alternatively, increasing training and comfort with goals of care discussions may allow providers to help families consider withdrawing care.  During my three week rotation, no goals of care discussions were held.  Withdrawing care is not seen as an option.  Not only for the use of resources but also for the quality of life of these patients, these discussions are fundamental to ICU care.  How can we as visitors, outsiders, begin to engage in these discussions with providers and potentially with families and patients?

4 comments:

  1. It feels awesome to read such informative and unique articles on your websites.youtube garcinia cambogia

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete