Monday, May 16, 2016

Counting Drops- International ICU Rotation in Kigali, Rwanda

Erin Blackstock, MD
Resident in Internal Medicine, MGH
PGY 3

Practicing in Rwanda’s CHUK Intensive Care Unit has unmasked my dependency on pharmacy, respiratory therapy, and critical care nursing; the frequently overlooked, yet invaluable members of our ICU team.  Early in the away rotation, I noticed a bottle of propofol infusing without a pump.  I asked the resident, “How do we know the infusion rate?”  He replied, “15-20 drops/min is estimated to be 1 cc/min.”  With this new knowledge I then set to work calculating the infusion rate for our patient, bringing back the math skills I had used in grade school – making sure I kept the units straight.  

At MGH I would have just entered an order with prepopulated recommended dosing ranges, then pharmacy, nursing, and our pump’s computer systems would have ensured the patient received the correct and at a minimum a safe dose of the medication.   

A few patients later on rounds, we found ourselves trying to troubleshoot a problem on the ventilator.  As a budding pulmonologist, I thought my ventilator skill set to be advanced for a third year resident.  While I may be able to suggest changes for patients with challenging physiology, I quickly realized that I typically rely on our superb respiratory therapists to monitor and correct many problems with the vent. 

I was struck that in our context, our resource-rich environment, we can find our skill set limited by the tremendous support available to us.  While partnering with these additional team members undoubtedly benefits patient care, if we do not intentionally seek out these additional skills, they will be sorely missed in more limited settings.  As I return to Boston, I have been inspired to seek out additional training from our respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and critical care nurses so that next time I find myself in a developing country’s ICU I will feel more equipped to care for those patients.



1 comment:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete