Monday, March 21, 2016

Clinical Experience at the University College Hospital (UCH)


Oluwatosin( Tosin) Onibokun, MD
Resident in OB/GYN, BWH/MGH Combined Residency Program
PGY 3

While at the University College Hospital (UCH), I had a chance to observe clinical work at the family planning clinic.
Hallway at the Family planning clinic at the
University College Hospital (UCH)

I was impressed by the major role the nurses played in the counseling and  provision of contraception to women. Contrary to the norm in the United States, insertions of reversible long acting contraception were managed by the nurses at the family planning clinic (including placement and removal of contraceptive implants and intrauterine devices) with doctors available for back up as needed (which appeared to rarely happen).I think the training and empowerment of nurses in this area is very laudable and the right step towards expanding 

Posters in family planning clinic promoting promoting
contraception use as a form of child spacing



















Of note, all reversible long-acting contraception ( IUDs and implants) provided at the family planning clinic at UCH are fully funded by the Nigerian Urban Reproductive Health Initiative (NURHI), which is a project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with the goal to eliminate the supply and demand barriers to contraceptive use in Nigeria, a very laudable and inspiring goal. The patients only pay a nominal fee to pay for the cost of syringes, needles and local anesthesia.  This highlights to me the role of philanthropy in making an immense significant impact in the lives of people and nations.

I think the available funding explains why I saw more implantable contraception devices inserted into patients than I initially expected given their relatively high cost in the United States. 


On the other hand, it was also interesting to note that the public awareness campaigns regarding contraception (with the exception of condoms) is skewed towards helping married women ensure adequate spacing between children and less as a way to prevent unwanted pregnancies in young unmarried women who are sexually active. This skew can be noted in the pictures that advertise contraception use. However,  I think it is important to modify this rhetoric so that young women, married or not and parous or not, can have equitable access to effective contraception.

In summary, it was a great learning experience to observe the efforts at improving access to contraception in a Nigerian setting, a cause I hope to continue to be involved in as an OB/GYN.



Oluwatosin( Tosin) Onibokun,
OB/GYN Resident PGY 3
BWH/MGH Combine Residency Program







1 comment:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete