Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Pathology in Trinidad

Melanie Johncilla, MD
Fellow in BWH Pathology
PGY 5


I left Trinidad when I was 18 years old.  I’ve never worked in the country and since I left it’s always been a place I equate with vacation, beaches, sleeping in late and having home-cooked food.  Given my experience working with folks in other “lower resource” settings like Rwanda and Haiti, I began investigating Trinidad as one of those ‘settings’.  After a small needs based assessment, I decided to do a project that would bridge very evident knowledge and practice gaps in the country.

Showing Dr. Greaves and his house officer Kavita the
 telepathology system (the iphone is attached to the camera and 
I'm uploading it on to Ipath for outside consultation).

And here I am.  In a room in San Juan, Trinidad with blue walls and a rectangular window waiting for my turn with the one microscope (I gave it to ‘my house officer’ who is previewing some unknowns I brought from the Brigham for a teaching session later this week).  The microscope has no light filter, no 2 or 20x objective and - I’ve mentioned this already - there’s only one of them.  I need it to attach my one (donated) iphone so I can then project slide images onto my laptop and begin teaching.  It’s different from having my pick of the litter at the Brigham (objectives, filters, microscopes..) but oddly enough I love it.  I know I only have one microscope and I know that my old high school friends are leaving work early to go the bar or a carnival fete (it’s what Trinidadians call a party).  But I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about a project before.  
The first attempt at immunohistochemistry I asked for:
Reynard and Sherwin, our lab assistants.

I could spend time on this blog regaling readers with tales of mistaken diagnoses, maltreatment based on diagnoses from the four (total!) pathologists here (the best of whom completed their training in the early 90’s and didn’t ‘believe’ in immunohistochemistry until a few years ago).  I could detail the story of  the one pathologist who diagnosed a 17cm mass in a decompensating 70 y/o man with the words “cells, staining for CD20, CD5 and CD3, clinical correlation is needed”.  But I, embarrassingly, expected that practice type.  What I did not expect is my colleague, Wesley Greaves, MD, FCAP who maintains the integrity, professionalism and knowledge base he built while at MD Anderson and Brown and then brought that essence to his practice in Trinidad.  Though severely restricted in terms of resources, his practice of pathology rivals that of the Brigham.  His staff is beyond motivated, beyond innovative and frankly, had they been based in the US with grants to apply for, courses to take, they would be among the best, if not the best.  Resource restriction is quite a thing.

The entire experience is not without its negatives (on my part).  As I sat in my one hour traffic filled commute, I momentarily lapsed into a  line of thinking probably fueled by the frustration of just getting to the lab.  Here I am, I thought, a fellow in Boston with arguably unlimited access to resources and connections and here I go, to a lab with three immunostains and one microscope, what am I doing here?  The gap is wide and after sitting here for four days and recovering from my commute, I feel my own privilege and my own entitlement and that’s also quite a thing.

The grossing station at the lab.
Other than this practice, if I could sum up Trinidad in one word, it would be hot.  Soca (calypso music with a faster beat) is playing on a laptop on our assistant’s desk as he comments on who will win the competitions that are coming up (Carnival is in two weeks and besides heavy dieting, Trinidadians turn into music critics and compare this year’s crop of costumes, ‘fetes’ and songs with the last years', somehow the last years' is always better).  Even though my accent is as strong as it’s ever been, my co-workers here still feel the need to educate me on things ‘Trini’.  I don’t know any of the new slang and tend to use the American term/pronunciation for a few things well rather than the more traditional British.  


I needed a few minutes to write this, but cases, patients and house officers await.  The practice of Pathology is different here.  It’s dynamic, engaging and developing.  And, four days in, I love it.

4 comments:


  1. Thanks for your post which is truly informative for us and we will surely keep visiting this website.
    Executive Health Checkup in gachibowli
    MRI Scan Centres in hyderabad
    online Patient Records

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your site. My thanks for doing such a good job. I will come back to read more and inform my coworkers about your site.

    SmartMicroscope 5m is a handheld digital microscope for students, which has a high-quality lens for true to life undistorted colour image to record still images, videos, or time-lapse videos. Best Chromebook digital microscope for high or middle school classrooms.


    For More Information Visit Here -- School microscope



    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later  i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis     

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi it's laa! 9 months ago my doctor told me I was diagnosed with herpes. I was heart broken, However that same month i found a Dr. who helped me to cured the virus with natural herbal treatment permanently. thanks to Dr. omohan for his natural herbal treatment that eliminated this virus out in my body forever. his contact information for any incurable virus via; dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him or call him through his phone number +2348164816038.   https://www.fb.com/dromohanherbalmedicin                                                                                             1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure
    3 ringing ear
    4 herpes cure
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Hiv
    8 get your ex back
    9 pregnancy herbal medicine
    10 prostate enlargement
    11 Hepatitis B    

    ReplyDelete