Monday, November 18, 2013

EMERGENCY NEEDS ASSESSMENT IN WESTERN KENYA

After the first few weeks performing a needs assessment in and around Kisumu, Kenya, I'm getting the handle on the survey. I've managed to adopt a bit of an accent in order for the practitioners to understand me. And if I speak slowly enough, a true challenge for me, the language barrier is minimal. All the providers have been very helpful. At first, most seem a little skeptical and resistant to sit down with me for a full hour of interviewing. Eventually, they are able to find some time for our team and have a good conversation about their emergency care capabilities. Unfortunately, sometimes the conversation can run over sometimes, but that usually means we were laughing to much trying to get to know each other.


Dave Young, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment